When Cal Heeter answered the phone last Monday and heard Flyers General Manager Paul Holmgren on the phone, he assumed it was just for an end-of-season conversation.
It turned out to be far more surprising than that.
“I really couldn’t belie...
Read more here: Flyers Recent Headlines
WEDNESDAY ROUNDUP: FLYERS AT WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
* He had a couple good saves and a couple of head-scratching moments, but the bottom line for Ilya Bryzgalov was that he was the winning goaltender in Russia's 5-3 win over Team USA yesterday. Bryzgalov stopped 19 of 22 shots. Two of the three goals he allowed were funky ones to give up.
Team USA's first goal, which tie
Continued here: Bill Meltzer
Gustafsson Starring for Sweden at Worlds
The selection of Flyers defenseman Erik Gustafsson for Sweden's World Championship team came as a surprise to some in his native country. The 24-year-old, who has dressed in 60 NHL games and had no previous national team experience at either the junior or senior levels, has thus far rewarded the faith shown in him by SIF (the Swedish Ice Hockey Federatio
See the original post here: Bill Meltzer
I'm sure Jakub Voracek doesn't hold too much of a grudge on teammate Wayne Simmonds for the battle to be on the next EA NHL 14 Cover.
In a head-to-head battle to see who would represent the Flyers the month-long contest to succeed Claude Girou...
The rest is here: Flyers Recent Headlines
Based on the success of the inaugural Philadelphia College Hockey Faceoff (January 19, 2013), the University of Vermont and Penn State University will meet once again at the Wells Fargo Center on Saturday, October 26 at 5 p.m. Tickets are now on s...
Originally posted here: Flyers Recent Headlines
FLYERS AT 2013 IIHF WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS: MONDAY UPDATES
* In their first game at the World Championships, Team Canada had to scramble to recover from a bad first period against Denmark. The Canadians weren't quite as fortunate against Switzerland yesterday, settling for one point in a 3-2 shootout loss.
Philadelphia defenseman Luke Schenn led all players on Team Canada with
See original here: Bill Meltzer
2013 IIHF WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS: FLYERS UPDATES
* Russia had little trouble dispatching Latvia by a 6-0 score. Ilya Bryzgalov earned a 15-save shutout.
* Denmark threw a scare into Canada, holding a 1-0 lead and holding even in shots through the first intermission and early portion of the second period. Two closely spaced second period goals for Canada turned the tide o
Original post: Bill Meltzer
IIHF World Championship Updates
* Coming off a breakout season for the Flyers in the NHL, Jakub Voracek picked right up where he left off as he joined Team Czech Republic for its opening game at the 2013 IIHF World Championships. With the Czechs on 5-on-3 power play midway through the first period, Voracek skated in from the right half boards, received a pass from Radim Vbrata and ripped the pu
See the original post: Bill Meltzer
The Toronto Maple Leafs, currently in their first playoff run since 2004, will face off against the Philadelphia Flyers in a preseason game at Budweiser Gardens on Sunday, September 15 at 6:00pm, presented by Scotiabank. Tickets will go on sale on...
Go here to read the rest: Flyers Recent Headlines
IIHF Worlds Get Underway
The 2013 IIHF World Championships kick off today, with three of the 10 participating Flyers players in game action. The tournament is taking place in Helsinki and Stockholm. Today's schedule (all times in EDT):
10:30 a.m. Czech Republic (Jakub Voracek) vs. Belarus
1:15 p.m. Finland vs. Germany (Marcel Noebels)
2:15 p.m. Sweden (Erik Gustafsson) vs. Switzerland
Excerpt from: Bill Meltzer